Thursday, July 28, 2011

My dream of selling locally might stay just a dream..

    With a bundle of nerves and a large bag of my Note Cards, Bookmarks, Tags and Journals I stepped into the Craft Shop on the Square and spotted a lady sitting in the corner at a tiny but gorgeous Victorian era desk with new right away she was the manager.  She was a very nice lady and she quite nicely told me that although my things were just lovely, she has 2 others booths that sell note cards and doesn't want too much of the same type of items.  My heart just sank.  I pulled forth my journals and invites and other small things that I knew the other 2 ladies were not selling ( I eyeballed their tiny areas as I walked in).  The manager brightened a little and said "Well, now these are different."  The very brief meeting ended with her taking my name and number and telling me that she would think about it and get back to me next week.
     So although it's a maybe.. I've the feeling that it's a no go - ah well.  I will keep my eyes opened for another opportunity.

4 comments:

  1. I understand how disappointing it can be, I wanted to sell at a craft fair last year and was told the same thing. :( I had wanted to sell some of my jewelry and was told the same as you...but you know everyone is different and craft runners shouldn't be so critical...they seem to want only a variety...maybe try to set up a reservation now for next year and know that you will then be one that will get in, or look up more craft fairs...I went around and asked about fairs in the area and then visited the fairs and asked the vendors how they were doing? Some said ok but most said that it was really SLOW so I decided to wait another year...I do sell at one craft fair at my church in Nov...not that it is great but I am comfortable there and like the place.. Good luck....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your insight, kindness and support. It helps to know that I'm not the only one. Perhaps your right about just waiting till next year and going in on a reservation. The lady at the craft shop said that practically everyone in there is having trouble making enough sales to cover their monthly fees - maybe it's no big loss after all. I feel better, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DaCraftyLady has some good advice. Maybe something better is in store for you. Putting out good vibes that you will find a niche!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks NewEndStudio, much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete